Skip Navigation LinksSFSC Home > Dual Enrollment > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Quick Links

Dual Enrollment






Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

^topAm I eligible to become a dual enrollment student?

To be eligible to enroll in SFSC dual enrollment, you must

  • Be in grade 10 or higher for technical dual enrollment and grade 11 or 12 for college credit dual enrollment;
  • Have a 3.0 unweighted grade point average for college credit dual enrollment or 2.0 unweighted grade point average for technical dual enrollment;
  • Have approval from the principal (and superintendent if required by the school district);
  • Have no severe behavior problems or unresolved disciplinary action; and
  • Meet the minimum testing requirements (PERT, SAT, ACT for college credit courses or TABE for technical dual enrollment).

How do I get started with dual enrollment?

Make an appointment with your guidance counselor to complete the SFSC dual enrollment portion of the Admissions Application and the Dual Enrollment Approval Form.

How do I register?

Your high school guidance counselor will help you with the registration process.

How do I know which courses to take?

You should discuss your courses with your high school guidance counselor and an SFSC counselor or advisor. Look for courses that help you:

  • Meet your subject area requirements for high school graduation.
  • Provide a career and technical program of study that you wish to pursue.
  • Apply toward an A.A., A.S. or A.A.S. degree. An SFSC counselor or advisor will assist you in identifying the courses suitable for your designated program.

^topHow do I know which college courses are acceptable?

A listing of the college courses that meet particular high school subject area requirements is found in the appendix of the SFSC Dual Enrollment Parent and Student Guide and is available on the website.

Which courses do I need for SFSC degrees or programs?

The requirements for all SFSC degree and certificate programs can be found in the College Catalog.

Are there any academic criteria I must meet as a dual enrollment student?

You must have an unweighted high school GPA of 3.0, be in the 11 or 12 grade, and have acceptable PERT, ACT or SAT scores to enter the college credit dual enrollment program or a 2.0 unweighted high school GPA, be in the 10, 11 or 12 grade, and have completed the PERT or TABE for technical dual enrollment.

Does the dual enrollment grade count on my high school and college transcript?

Yes, the grade is listed on your high school transcript and counts toward high school graduation requirements. The grade is also listed on your SFSC transcript; hence, dual enrollment has two grades, a high school grade and a college grade, for each course. These are permanent college grades and part of your permanent high school and college transcript.

When do I register for courses?

Registration deadlines are determined by the high school and SFSC academic calendar. Students are encouraged to enroll in classes as soon as possible as classes fill and seats will no longer be available.

^topWhy should I consider dual enrollment?

Why wait? Get started on your future career or college degree. Dual enrollment is free quality education, textbooks, and tuition!

The college credits you earn may count toward an SFSC occupational certificate program of study, an Associate in Science degree, an Associate in Arts degree, or a baccalaureate degree.

See your high school guidance counselor for more information.