Skip Navigation LinksSFSC Home > Degrees and Programs > BAS-SM > Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links




Financial Aid

SFSC University Center





Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

^topWhat bachelor’s programs will the college offer?

Beginning in August 2012, the college will offer its initial bachelor’s degree program, the Bachelor of Applied Science in Supervision and Management (BAS-SM). The BAS-SM degree will prepare individuals to develop, plan, manage, and supervise in a variety of workforce settings. Graduates will acquire specialized skills in human resources, management, finance, and leadership. These skills may be applied to a wide range of workforce venues within the public, private, or nonprofit sectors. Students who previously received their associate degree may build upon their technical or college transfer education using this degree.

Other baccalaureate and master’s degree programs offered by universities are available through the SFSC University Center on the Highlands Campus. You may inquire online about available elementary education, interdisciplinary studies, business, and graduate programs, or by contacting the SFSC University Center at 863-784-7408.

Do I need to have completed an A.A. or an A.S. to pursue this degree?

The Associate in Arts (A.A.) and Associate in Science (A.S.) are the preferred college transfer degrees. Students who have completed an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.), other degrees and/or college course work may be considered on an individual basis. Please see a college counselor for an assessment of your previous work. Appointments may be made by calling 784-7408 or 784-7131.

How long will it take to complete this degree?

Time to completion depends upon the number of courses/credits needed and whether you attend as a part-time student or as a full-time student. The typical time to completion is two years.

When will this degree be available?

August 2012

^topCan I transfer credits from another four-year institution toward this degree?

Yes. Transfer course credits may be applicable to program completion. Please see a college counselor for assessment of your previous work.

Will the courses for the bachelor’s degree be more expensive than associate degree courses?

Bachelor’s degree course work (3000-4000 level courses) is approximately 24 percent more expensive than lower level (1000-2000 level) courses. Actual fees are determined annually by the Florida Legislature and the SFSC District Board of Trustees. The latest College Catalog will provide you with approximate cost estimates.

Will the courses for this degree transfer to another Florida state college or university?

Yes, courses should transfer to any other college or university. Students considering transfer should contact the institution that they desire to transfer to for further information. The baccalaureate programs completed at the college should also be acceptable for future graduate work.

What are the prerequisites for this program?

The bachelor’s programs are open access and available to all students who meet the admissions requirements. Selected upper division (3000-4000) courses have prerequisites. Consult the College Catalog or advisor for further information. BAS-SM Course Descriptions

Can I get this degree online?

The BAS-SM program is not available online, although selected courses in the program may be delivered via the Web. Most course work will be face-to-face with online computer technologies that enhance and support the course.

When are the classes held?

Classes will be scheduled during the day and in the evenings.

^topMay I attend either as a part-time or full-time student?

Yes, students may attend college part time or full time.

Will students be required to meet the foreign language requirement?

Students may be admitted to the bachelor’s program prior to completing the state required foreign language standard. However, they will be required to successfully complete the foreign language course work prior to graduation.

What are the graduation requirements?

To graduate you must:

  • Complete 120 credits as outlined in the degree map
  • Earn an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher
  • Meet college-level academic standards set by the state of Florida
  • Complete 36 hours of required General Education courses
  • A.A. students must complete 18 hours of technical course work
  • Demonstrate proficiency in foreign language through: completion of two years of high school instruction in the same foreign language or completion of a minimum of eight college-level credits in one foreign language
  • Complete at least 30 credit hours (25 percent) at this college
  • Apply for graduation

Are financial aid and scholarships available?

Yes, financial aid and scholarships are available to eligible students. Please review the Financial Aid information on this website, check the College Catalog, or contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information at 863-784-7254. Please apply early for financial aid.

What are general education requirements?

Each baccalaureate student is required to complete 36 credit hours of General Education course work. Please refer to the College Catalog to identify the courses that qualify as general education courses.

Are service learning or intern and extern opportunities available through this degree?

An intern or extern opportunity is available in the capstone course and will be a requirement. Selected courses may have service learning opportunities available.

Who do I need to talk to about the program?

A counselor in the Advising and Counseling Center (863-784-7131) or the SFSC University Center (863 784-7401) will be able to assist you.

^topWhat is the application deadline?

Applications are accepted throughout the year, but early admission, acceptance and registration will increase your opportunity to get the class schedule you want. Be sure to indicate your degree preference as Bachelor of Applied Sciences on the college application form.